
In what is reportedly the first fentanyl murder case involving a child's death in Los Angeles County, the father of a toddler is battling for justice in court.
When Justin Bulley was buried, he was only 17 months old. In February of last year, he took fentanyl at his mother's house in Lancaster.
Both the grandfather, Jessie Darthard, and the child's mother, Jessica Darthard, are accused of murder in connection with the boy's passing. The Rodcliff Secret Daniel, a DCFS visitation monitor, was also accused of intentionally harming or killing a kid.
This is the first fentanyl case in Los Angeles County where murder charges have been brought in connection with the death of a child.
Montise Bulley, the child's father, appeared in court on Monday for the initial hearing.
Being in court after his boy's untimely death is really difficult, he told Eyewitness News.
"It struck me in the same manner as before. It's unexpected… I wonder, "Why am I here?" However, I understand my purpose here, as I am my son's sole voice," he remarked.
He said that the thing that hurts the most is that he was working to get custody of his son. However, he contends that the system simply granted his son visiting privileges and placed him with his mother. He now claims that he will never again see his son.
"The whole situation has just got me confused… lost, I'll say."
According to Linda Burton, her son's two children with Jessica Darthhard are devastated by the terrible death of their younger brother.
"My granddaughter used to play with and cradle the baby. Their younger sibling is missed. "They don't get it," Burton remarked.
It is anticipated that the preliminary hearing would go on for a few more days. After that, the judge will decide whether there is sufficient evidence to hold a trial.
You might be interested in reading: Mauricio Manfred Quintanilla